Board Minutes; July 20, 2011, 11:30-1:00PM

Cowlitz County Community Network

Board Meeting

CWCOG Meeting Room

July 30, 2011, 11:30 – 1:00 PM

 

Present: Ben Harrison, Ray Van Tongeren, Carmella Bender, Julia Bishop, Frank Hoetker, Liz Haeck, Sybil Sides, and Sharon Weinhold,

 

Excused: Cindy Lopez Werth; Barbara Skreen

 

Unexcused:  Ashley Scott

 

Quorum: Yes

 

Welcome and Introductions: Ray Van Tongeren, Vice Chair, welcomed the Board members and asked them to introduce themselves for the record. Ben Harrison, Chair, returned from a meeting with the fiscal agent. Ray ceded the chair to Ben.

Additions to the Agenda:  None.

 

June 15, 2011 Minutes: Motion to approve the minutes as presented: Sybil: second: Frank. The vote was unanimous and the motion carried.

June 15, 2011 Action Items: All action items were completed.

 

Budget Update:

A final accounting was given of the annual budget for the period July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011. The initial budget was $35,300. An across-the-board reduction took $4,491, leaving $30,809. Expenditures were $26,353, leaving an unexpended balance of $5,456.23. The unexpended balance was due primarily to a vacancy in the staff position for several months during the year.

The Network currently has funding from three sources. The Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and Family Policy Council Partnership funding is $15,000. The funds are available through December 15, 2011. The Northwest Health Foundation Grant is $3,680. The funding period ends December 31, 2011. Family Policy Council funding is $35,000. The funding period ends June 30, 2012. Grant funding status will be reported at each Board meeting.

The Network is renegotiating our contract with the CWCOG for fiscal agent fees and rent. The current contract expires on July 31, 2011.

Biennial Reporting Schedule.

The Family Policy Council announced the reporting schedule for the funding periods of July 1, 2009 – June 30, 2011 and July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2013. Due dates for all reports were extended to October 31, 2011. The end of biennium reporting includes the Summary of Network Actions, End of Project Summary, and Community Context Report. The reporting will also include several surveys on Survey Monkey. The first survey is due immediately and is on “Staffing and Fiscal.”

Action: Complete the Survey Monkey on “Staffing and Fiscal.” (Sharon)

Action: Prepare input for the Family Policy Council reports and present it to the Board at the August meeting. (Sharon)

Vocational Rehabilitation Grant/Action Plan:

The Network, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, and Disability Access Coalition are planning events for National Disability Employment Awareness Month (October 2011). An event is planned for each Thursday of the month. Planned events are: Employment and Resource Fair with a focus on adults with disabilities hosted by the Cowlitz Tribe [date changed from October 13 to October 6]; Mental Health/Depression Screening [date changed from October 6 to October 13]; Speaker on Autism at LCC [October 20]; and Speakers, Workshops, and Resource Fair with a focus on youth with disabilities and adult clients who are parents [October 27].

The Board was asked to support and help fund the events on October 6 and October 27. The Network will have a resource table at both events. Ray suggested Board members help staff the resource tables, and asked that sign up sheets be prepared. The funding would pay for the facility, stage, microphones, coffee service, and box lunch. Questions were raised regarding the number of people and resource tables expected and adequacy of the room size. A suggestion was made to explore a larger space either at the Expo Center or the Red Lion. A motion was made to approve Network support and a financial commitment up to a maximum of $5,000 and a maximum of $6,000 if a larger room is needed at either the Expo Center or Red Lion. Ray: Second: Sybil. The vote was unanimous and the motion carried.

Action: Contact the Expo Center to confirm the current planned space is large enough to accommodate the planned event on October 27. (Sharon)

Action: Determine the availability/cost of event space at the Red Lion. (Sharon)

Action: Prepare a schedule and ask for Board member support to staff resource tables in one hour increments at the October 6 and October 27 events.(Sharon)

Liz and Sharon discussed their visit to the Eastside Time Bank in Bellevue. This is a successful Time Bank that started in December 2010 and now has about 90 members. The Executive Director and Community Coordinator shared information with us during the visit on start up and ways they plan to expand membership and the number of exchanges. Liz asked for approval to pursue a Time Bank in the Highlands and asked for seed money to get started. A motion was made to approve a Time Bank in the Highlands and to allocate seed money of $2,000 for research, consultation, and start up. The purpose and amount of expenditures will be reported to the Board each month. Frank: Second, Carmella. The vote was unanimous and the motion carried.

Other possible activities or events were discussed that could be accomplished as part of the DVR – FPC partnership. One idea was to host a breakfast event that would bring potential employers to the table. Invitees would include human resource professionals such as recruiters, managers, consultants, or other employer representatives. Training could be provided on hiring and retaining people with disabilities. Another idea was to look at transportation for persons with disabilities. Apparently a transportation system exists in Aberdeen that might be used as a model. There will be a meeting with the DVR on August 4, and these ideas and others will be discussed.

Action: Find information on the Aberdeen Transportation System for discussion at the August 4 DVR meeting. (Sharon)

 

Other Plans/Activities.

July 28 – Disability Access Team Meeting

August 1 – ACEs presentation at Big Brothers/Big Sisters Orientation

August 2 – National Night Out

August 4 – DVR Meeting

August 31 – Disability Access Team Meeting

September 17 – Tribal Health Walk

September 24 – Link/Fibre Health Fair

October 10 – ACEs presentation to Castle Rock Women

October 14 – With One Voice Training

October 20 – ACEs presentation to Kalama Women

October 20 – ACEs presentation to parents at Youth Summit

October 22 – ACEs presentation to LCC students in Counseling Program

Carmella asked if a Network Board member would be interested in joining the Link/Fibre Health Fair Planning Committee. The next meeting is August 19 at 3pm.

Action: If you are interested in being a member of the Link/Fibre Health Fair Planning Committee, let Carmella know. (Board Members)

 

Network Website: The Network website is at www.cowlitzcommunitynetwork.com. The Directory is complete. Sharon will attend training on July 27, and then the Directory will go live. Some of the data is out of date. A decision will be made on how we will update the information after we see the final product.

Feedback on Events

– Frank Hoetker announced he is resigning from the Board. He plans to become a Big Brother and wants to dedicate time to that. Board members expressed appreciation for Frank’s advice and support during his time as Board member.

– Readiness to Learn Readers. Liz and Sharon shared their experiences as Readiness to Learn Readers. Both thought it was a valuable experience.

 

Other.

The Network by-laws state that “a member may be removed from the Board if absent for four (4) consecutive or a total of six (6) regularly scheduled meetings per calendar year.” The Network has many new and challenging opportunities ahead. To successfully engage in these opportunities, the active support and participation by all of the Board members is needed. Action: Follow up on inactive Board members and ask if they are interested in continuing on the Board.  

 

Minutes Action Items

Action: Complete the Survey Monkey on “Staffing and Fiscal.” (Sharon)

Action: Prepare input for the Family Policy Council reports and present it to the Board at the August meeting. (Sharon)

Action: Contact the Expo Center to confirm the current planned space is large enough to accommodate the planned event on October 27. (Sharon)

Action: Determine the availability/cost of event space at the Red Lion. (Sharon)

Action: Prepare a schedule and ask for Board member support to staff resource tables in one hour increments at the October 6 and October 27 events.(Sharon)

Action: Find information on the Aberdeen Transportation System for discussion at the August 4 DVR meeting. (Sharon)

Action: If you are interested in being a member of the Link/Fibre Health Fair Planning Committee, let Carmella know. (Board Members)

Action: Follow up on inactive Board members. (Sharon)

Meeting Adjourned:

Next Meeting August 17, 2011

Leave a Reply